North Carolina Members: How the State of Emergency Declaration Impacts Your Plan and Important Safety Information
A state of emergency declaration has recently been issued for North Carolina in anticipation of Hurricane Florence making landfall this week. Because the health and well-being of our members is always our top priority, Gateway Health will be waiving some of our normal authorization and provider network requirements to ensure that you do not experience any lapse in your medical care. Until the state of emergency is lifted:
• You will be able to use non-network pharmacies to fill your medications.
• We will be waiving our normal restrictions against early prescription to help ensure you have enough medication to last you for the immediate future.
• If you need medical care during the state of emergency and you cannot see your normal medical providers, then you may see any provider, even if they are not part of the Gateway Health Plan Medicare network.
• You will not need to obtain prior-authorization from Gateway Health Plan for any medically necessary services.
We recommend members review their evacuation zone, evacuation route and shelter locations immediately. Information about evacuation routes can typically be found on your city or county’s website. Contact information for each county’s emergency management agency is also located on the North Carolina Department of Public Safety website.
We also suggest having an emergency supply kit on hand with the following:
• Bottled water and non-perishable food to sustain each family member for 3-7 days
• Weather radio
• Extra batteries
• Cell phone and cell phone charger
• Prescription medications (filled in advance of the storm – again we are waiving our normal prescription authorization and limits in order to make sure you can be fully supplied before the storm hits)
• Copies of important documents (birth certificates, insurance policies, passport, Driver’s License, your health insurance card, etc.)
If you need additional help preparing, Ready.gov and Readync.org are two helpful websites that contain additional tips and information.
As always, the Gateway Health team is standing by to provide support if you have any questions about your plan. Please contact the customer service team at 1-855-847-6430. In the event of an emergency please contact 911 immediately. Thank you for your attention to this important update.